CA Students outline their priorities in the latest survey
Read the results from the latest survey of CA Students and apprentices and find out how ICAS is acting upon the feedback and insight.
What you told us
This year marked ICAS’ fourth annual confidential and independent online Student survey, which was issued to all CA Students and apprentices. Some of the key findings from this survey are detailed below.
Areas of importance and satisfaction
CA Students and apprentices highlighted some of the most important areas while completing their CA qualification and those which brought them the highest level of satisfaction.
- The most important areas for Students and apprentices were 'the quality of materials' for the third consecutive year, followed by 'content of the syllabus' and 'ICAS' reputation'.
- The population felt most satisfied with 'ICAS' reputation' for the third year, followed by 'quality of teaching staff' and the 'learning resources'.
The pandemic resulted in major changes to the learning experience, with Students and apprentices learning exclusively online before returning to a combination of face-to-face and online learning in 2022.
- When asked about their learning preferences, Students and apprentices had an almost balanced view regarding online versus face-to-face learning, with a marginal preference for online. This is a shift from the previous year, where their preference was face-to-face learning.
- Students and apprentices cited the ability to interact with lecturers and peers as one of the most valuable aspects of in-person classes.
What we’re doing to improve
The results from the survey also outlined some key areas for ICAS to improve, including communication, the process for completing Achievement Logs and sustainability. Some of the improvements ICAS is making to better the Student experience are below:
- Reduced our average email resolution time from 2.9 days in 2021 to 8.5 hours in 2022. This improved response rate is thanks to a new email system allowing emails to be seen and responded to more efficiently, and better staff training.
- Reviewed Student communications, including emails, as part of an ongoing improvement project, to better meet the needs of Students.
- Carried out Student focus groups to gain further insight into feedback provided in the annual Student Survey.
- Collected feedback on the achievement log and looking at how this process can be improved.
Student wellbeing and experience
- Introduced a new format of Test of Competence (TC) CA Student induction events that will enable peer networking opportunities prior to classes commencing.
- Increased awareness of our Student Assistance Helpline and explored other ways we can support Student wellbeing as part of our Mental Fitness Strategy.
Equality, diversity and inclusion
- Gathered information on diversity in this survey so that we can ensure our boards, committees and strategy cater to our CA Students' and Members' needs.
- We continued our Championing Unique Perspectives campaign, which was recently shortlisted in the Champions of EDI category at the 2022 Marketing Society Star Awards. The series profiles our diverse membership and builds awareness and possible solutions on the key themes of equality, diversity and inclusion. So far this year the campaign has covered topics including mental health, the experience of coming out at work, and helped ICAS to mark International Women's Day and South Asian Heritage Month.
- Became a signatory to the Accounting Bodies Network commitment to net zero greenhouse gas emissions.
- Updated our Business Ethics course, the Test of Competence and Test of Professional Skills levels to demonstrate the direct relevance of some of the content to sustainability issues.
- Introduced a new sustainability module at Test of Professional Expertise level and delivered it to Students this year.
Thanks for your feedback
Thank you to all CA Students and apprentices who took the time to let us know their thoughts through our recent survey and related initiatives. ICAS values your feedback and engagement as we continue to improve our services and satisfaction levels.