Test of Practical Competence (TPC) Pathways Route
CIPFA members who have less than seven years post-qualification experience of CIPFA can become a CA through completion of a combination of class-based learning and relevant work experience. This route requires you to attend Test of Professional Expertise (TPE) classes and complete a two-year training contract with a minimum of 300 days practical experience and competency requirements which will be recorded in the ICAS achievement log.
Are you eligible?
- You must be a full member of Good Standing with CIPFA (The Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy).
- You must have been admitted to CIPFA via the Standard entry route on the basis of the normal qualification requirements for CIPFA including its final examinations.
- As a member of CIPFA you must have completed the FULL UK qualification ("bye-law 4") through CIPFA's approved examination route.
- You must have maintained the membership of CIPFA since qualifying.
- You will normally have less than SEVEN years' post-qualification experience (excluding career and maternity/paternity breaks).
Steps to become a CA through the TPC route:
- Register your interest
- When available, complete an ICAS enrolment form along with:
- Submit a Letter of Good Standing from your approved professional body
- Submit a Transcript of Exams from your approved professional body
- Once your relevant forms have been reviewed by ICAS, you will receive email confirmation of your enrolment to attend TPE classes
- Shortly before classes start, you will receive an email with class information
- Attend TPE classes and sit and pass exam
- Complete a two-year training contract with a minimum of 300 days relevant practical experience
- Record experience and competency requirements in the ICAS achievement log
- You are now eligible to be admitted to ICAS membership and use the ‘CA’ designation and have full access to ICAS services.
To confirm if you are eligible for this route, please refer to the Test of Practical Competence (TPC) route FAQs.
Costs (excluding VAT)
- To enrol you will pay the current training contract fee, class fees and exam fee
- Upon successful completion of TPC, you will pay the admission to membership fee and the ICAS/CIPFA annual subscription rate in order to be admitted into ICAS membership.
Training Contract fee
Admission to Membership fee
Please contact ICAS
ICAS/CIPFA Annual Subscription fee
Register your interest and we will keep you informed on the latest updates.
Find out more on the Test of Practical Competence (TPC) route FAQs page.