This month in Tax: October 2022
Justine Riccomini advises on what training and events are taking place, as well as tax resources available to Members on the ICAS website and beyond
- Sign up for our popular Ask ICAS and ICAS Insights webinars.
- See information on HMRC updates and other tax webinars
- ICAS – helping you keep up to date – visit the tax pages on icas.com.
CIOT/ATT Scotland Conference 2022
Please note that the CIOT/ATT conference in Stirling, which was due to take place on 4 and 5 November 2022, has been cancelled.
However, the speakers who were on the programme are set to deliver webinars instead to deliver the material they have prepared.
Watch out for dates for these webinars on the CIOT events page. We are pleased to confirm that ICAS' Justine Riccomini and CIOT President Susan Ball are set to deliver their webinar on 15 November, covering the employment taxes policy and practice landscape.
The Employment Taxes policy and practice landscape:
Susan Ball CTA (Fellow) ATT, Partner, RSM UK and CIOT President
Justine Riccomini MSc FFTA AIPA Chartered MCIPD ChFCIPP, Head of Tax (Employment and Devolved Taxes), ICAS (Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland)
- The employment taxes landscape is as complicated as ever and new developments and complexity seem to be added every year, requiring tax practitioners to stay on their toes to keep clients up to date and provide the service they deserve.
- Susan and Justine will run through the latest developments, both on the policy and practice fronts over the last twelve months, including a number of interesting tax cases.
- Members will gain insights and knowledge of the key areas of risk and the hot topics to speak to clients about.
- This session will be of use to all members in practice who deal with employment tax.
Find out more and register for the webinar here.
Ask ICAS and ICAS Insights webinars
Ask ICAS: How charities can benefit from changes to the Scottish Local Government Pension Scheme
Date: Thursday 27 October 2022
Time: 11:00am until 12:00pm
Hear from charity pensions expert, David Davison, about recent changes to the Scottish Local Government Pension scheme which provide Scottish charities with new options for managing their LGPS pension liabilities.
David will provide an update on changes to the LGPS (Scotland) Regulations, which came into force on 1 June 2022, and how charities can benefit from those changes. He will also cover other options currently being offered to charities by Scottish LGPS Funds to assist them in managing their pension liabilities and give an overview of how the charity sector is currently impacted by participation in the Scottish LGPS.
Christine Scott, Head of Charities and Reporting at ICAS, will cover ICAS’ role in campaigning for changes to the Regulations and, along with David, will highlight some key related accounting considerations for employers participating in the Scottish LGPS.
This event will be of interest to charity trustees and staff, and charity advisers, including auditors and independent examiners. It is open to non-members, who can join the event for free.
The event will be hosted by Matt Cooper CA, Chair of the ICAS Pensions Panel.
Key themes and topics
- The Scottish Local Government Pension Scheme
- Financial reporting
- Financial Sustainability
(Please note that views and opinions expressed by speakers at ICAS webinars are their own and not necessarily reflective of ICAS’ views.)
- Chair: Matt Cooper CA, Director, Pension Employer Covenant & Restructuring at PWC and Chair of the ICAS Pensions Panel
- David Davison, Director and owner of Spence & Partners Limited, Dalriada Trustees Limited and Mantle Hosting Limited and member of the ICAS Pensions Panel
- Christine Scott, Head of Charities and Reporting at ICAS
Who’s this for?
- ICAS Members
- ICAS Students
Counts as CPD activity
Depending upon your individual role and training and development needs, watching this webinar can count towards your annual Continuing Professional Development (CPD) requirement.
By signing up to an ICAS event you are agreeing to our terms and conditions.
Catch up on all previous Ask ICAS webinars
Please note that all the feedback we have received from members during webinars, in Q&As and on a day-to-day basis is in turn being fed into Government insofar as it relates to policy and to HMRC insofar as it relates to operational and practical matters.
Please note that views and opinions expressed by speakers at ICAS webinars are their own and not necessarily reflective of ICAS’ views.
HMRC Technical Information
The latest Agent Update is available here: Please note the AU is published once a month
The latest Employer Bulletin is available here: please note the EB is published once every two months
HMRC Talking Points webinars are available here.
HMRC Community Forums
You can use the HMRC online customer forum to post questions on a range of tax topics that are answered by HMRC experts. The forum now includes “PAYE and Payroll for Employers”.
ICAS Members are encouraged to join this.
The Knowledge Base is a new feature which contains answers to FAQs on a variety of topics and where you can find information on a number of subjects to help with tax matters. Content is regularly updated and new material added.
Anyone can view the forum at https://community.hmrc.gov.uk. To post a question, simply register and create a profile.
A registered forum member can:
- View posts
- Add or post topics / questions
UK Government Consultations
The ICAS tax team responds to many consultations on tax issues and welcomes members’ views to assist in preparing responses. If you have any comments on open consultations let us know.
Details of current consultations on tax issues can be found here:
Fancy volunteering on an ICAS tax committee? Email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know!