This month in tax: March 2022
Justine Riccomini advises on what training and events are taking place as well as the coronavirus and tax resources available to Members on the ICAS website and beyond.
- Sign up for our popular Ask ICAS and ICAS Insights webinars.
- There is plenty of information available on all tax matters on the icas.com tax pages
- ICAS – helping you keep up to date
An ETN/CIOT Seminar: Scottish taxes update from the Scottish Government and the Institute for Fiscal Studies
The Edinburgh Tax Network and Chartered Institute of Taxation invite you to join Scottish Government officials and David Phillips from the Institute for Fiscal Studies for an update on developments in devolved taxation. The event will take place on Thursday 10th March 2022 at the Mackenzie Building, Old Assembly Close, Edinburgh. At this event, the Scottish Government will discuss two recent tax publications, namely:
- Framework for Tax, which sets out the principles and strategic objectives that will guide the Scottish Government’s approach to tax policy making and how it will manage and sequence tax policy around the fiscal cycle.
- Scottish Income Tax 2018-19: policy evaluation, which includes analysis of how much revenue the policy raised, how taxpayers responded to the changes, and the impacts on the wider tax system.
David Phillips will then consider:
- Scottish income tax revenue forecasts, outturns and reconciliations - what they do and don't mean.
- Scottish income tax policy - distributional and potential behavioural impacts.
- The trade-offs involved in further tax devolution.
- A few thoughts on the policy framework.
Registration will commence at 5pm with the seminar starting at 5.30pm. The seminar will be followed by a drinks reception. It has been accredited by the Faculty of Advocates as contributing 1-hour CPD for its own members and is eligible for a similar award from the Law Society for the solicitor branch of the profession.
There is no charge for attendance, however booking is necessary - to reserve a space at this event please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The event will be live streamed and also made available for subsequent viewing. If you cannot attend in person, you can register for online viewing at: https://web.cvent.com/event/aa4c8e51-da91-4514-9135-a9bc5cb382c5/summary
Edinburgh Women in Tax event
Tuesday 8 March 2022, 12.30-13.30
This online workshop led by leadership specialist Kirsty Maynor is based on the research of Dr. Brené Brown’s courage building programme Dare to Lead. It will help you to identify where you want to be more daring in your leadership and give you tools and skills to help you be more courageous in your leadership. You will learn why we don’t like to be vulnerable but it is the heart of daring leadership, how shame can stop us in our tracks and one simple step to overcome it.
For more details and to sign up, please visit here. Everyone welcome so please do share with colleagues and contacts.
HMRC Technical Information
All of HMRC’s webinars, videos and the sign-up for email alerts is in the link below.
All HMRC Talking Points webinars are in the link below:
HMRC Community Forums
HMRC has an online customer forum where you can post questions on a range of tax topics that are answered by HMRC experts. The forum now includes “PAYE and Payroll for Employers”.
ICAS Members are encouraged to join this.
The Knowledge Base is a new feature which contains answers to FAQs on a variety of topics and where you can find information on a number of subjects to help with tax matters. Content is regularly updated and new material added.
Anyone can view the forum. To post a question, simply register and create a profile.
A registered forum member can:
- View posts
- Add or post topics / questions
The ICAS tax team responds to many consultations on tax issues and welcomes members’ views to assist in preparing responses. If you have any comments on open consultations let us know.
Details of current consultations on tax issues can be found here:
Fancy volunteering on an ICAS tax committee? Email email@example.com to let us know!