1,000 Chartered Accountants for Net Zero
ICAS, Chartered Accountants Ireland and ICAEW wants to celebrate our Members and Students who are acting on the climate crisis.
The 1,000 Chartered Accountants campaign is the first joint sustainability initiative of ICAS, ICAEW and Chartered Accountants Ireland. We want to celebrate our Members and Students who are acting on the climate crisis and are looking for 1,000 Chartered Accountants who have committed - or want to commit - to making a real sustainable difference. This may be by helping their organisation, or by enabling others, to develop their journey to net zero carbon emissions.
Chartered Accountants are well-placed within their organisations and with their clients to drive action on climate change. Many organisations have already pledged to reach net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050 or sooner. Some have also joined one of the United Nations’ Race to Zero initiatives or national and regional initiatives such as the UK Government’s Together for our Planet campaign.
We would love to hear from those that have signed up to initiatives, have helped clients to reduce their emissions, or are an active voice in decarbonising the economy.
We want to hear your story and celebrate the work you are doing. Could you be one of the 1,000 Chartered Accountants leading this charge towards a decarbonised economy? You can also nominate a Member or CA Student you think has made an impact towards net zero.
"We’re delighted to team up with Chartered Accountants Ireland and ICAEW to celebrate our Members leading the way in the Race to Net Zero. With COP26 approaching the race is now on for all governments and organisations, to demonstrate the urgency with which they are tackling the issue of climate change.
To combat climate change and create a sustainable future we all have a role to play and Chartered Accountants are well placed to be trailblazers in the business community and to encourage their organisations and clients to sign up to becoming net zero."
Bruce Cartwright CA, ICAS Chief Executive
How can I take part in the 1,000 Chartered Accountants campaign?
You can take part in the 1,000 Chartered Accountants campaign if:
- Your organisation - or your client organisation - is already signed up to a Race to Zero campaign and you have been instrumental in that process - see list below
- Your organisation or client is willing to join a Race to Zero campaign and begin a journey to net zero.
- Your organisation is making a sustainable difference towards net zero carbon emissions.
- You are an active voice in decarbonising the economy.
Small and medium enterprise
Certified B Corporation
Chambers of Commerce
Your next steps:
1. Fill out this form to be part of 1,000 Chartered Accountants or to nominate a CA or CA Student.
2. We will contact you, or the person you have nominated, to ask if we can promote you publicly as a 1,000 Chartered Accountants Champion and/or take part in a case study.
Why should I take part in the 1,000 Chartered Accountants Campaign?
As a Chartered Accountant you are well placed to be a trailblazer in their organisations. By signing up to the 1,000 Chartered Accountants campaign you can celebrate your success while using your voice to inspire others to sign up to net-zero.
How will your Institute celebrate you?
- Listing you in our Roll of Honour
- Linking to your organisation
- Celebrate your achievement in our communication channels
- Include details of your achievements in a longer case study, providing inspiration and leadership to other members.
What is ‘Race to Zero’?
Race To Zero is a global campaign owned by the United Nations. It pulls together initiatives from across the climate action community under a single umbrella campaign. It aims to rally businesses, cities, regions, and investors (‘real economy actors’) to achieve a healthy, resilient, zero-carbon recovery.
Race to Zero was launched by the UNFCCC ‘Climate Champions’ in June 2020 to give an extra boost to the Climate Action Alliance. The Climate Action Alliance had been set up in 2019 during the 2019 UN Climate Action Summit.
Under the Climate Action Alliance governments commit to being more ambitious in their climate action. The objective of Race to Zero is to mobilise actors outside of national governments to join the Climate Ambition Alliance and to build momentum around the shift to a decarbonised economy ahead of COP26, where governments must strengthen their contributions to the Paris Agreement.