30 November: The production and consumption of information on intangibles
Watch our session where a panel of experts discussed the results and practical recommendations from a research project on the reporting of intangibles by the University of Ferrara (Italy) - an ambitious large-scale project funded by ICAS and further jointly supported by EFRAG and EFFAS.
As the global economy has moved from manufacturing to service-based, there has been increasing focus on the intangible drivers of value within companies, and how these act as indicators of the performance and future value of a business. At the same time, concerns have been voiced that financial statements are losing their relevance as they do not reflect many of these intangible elements. This academic research produced empirical evidence and insights on the views of preparers (CFOs and chief accountants) and users (investors and financial analysts) about intangibles-related information.
Key themes and topics
- Production processes and disclosure modes of intangibles – traditional accounting and non-financial/narrative information
- The desired ‘’consumption’’ processes of intangibles information by users
- Critical characteristics for corporate production/disclosure and consumption processes, and the authors suggestions for policy makers and standard setters to address them.
Who are the speakers?
- The event was chaired by Guy Jubb, Chair of the ICAS Research Panel.
- Dr. Laura Girella, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia (Italy)
- Prof. Giuseppe Marzo, University of Ferrara (Italy)
- Prof. Stefano Zambon, University of Ferrara (Italy)
- Bruce Pritchard, ICAS President
- Alain Deckers, Head of Unit, European Commission, DG FISMA
- Chiara Del Prete, EFRAG TEG Chairwoman
- Jean-Philippe Desmartin, Co-Chair CESG EFFAS, Edmond de Rothschild AM
Counts as CPD activity
Depending upon your individual role and training and development needs, watching this webinar can count towards your annual Continuing Professional Development (CPD) requirement.
Related content - develop your knowledge
- The production and consumption of information on intangibles: Learn more about the research project funded by ICAS
- IAS 38 - Intangible assets online course
- FRS 102 goodwill and intangibles online course