29 June – Employment Law - Back to basics
Employment Law is constantly in the news - from P&O to male baldness. However sometimes it is important to step back and remind ourselves of the basics. What do we really need to know in running our business, and in advising others, about employment rights, what are the traps and when might it be worth seeking HR or legal support?
Join us for this informative hybrid event, hosted by the ICAS Highland Area Network. The session is led by Kirk Tudhope (Partner at Ledingham Chalmers LLP) and his employment team, who share insights and guide discussion about the many employment challenges which arise in the workplace.
(Duration 1 hour. Originally recorded on 29 June 2022.)
Key themes & topics
- Employment contracts – why the wording is important but only tells us part of what we need to know
- Unfair dismissal – why it should be really simple but isn’t and why it is all the lawyers’ fault
- Equal opportunities – what characteristics are protected, do they include the transgender community, and just how equal are the opportunities?
- Have we “taken back control” from the EU or is Brussels still influential?
- Fire and rehire – is this sensible business practice in a challenging market and, if so, is P&O being unfairly targeted?
- Q&A - opportunity to ask Kirk questions, all views encouraged
- Kirk Tudhope - Partner, Ledingham Chalmers LLP
Kirk Tudhope heads Ledingham Chalmers’ Scotland wide employment team. He is the only Law Society accredited specialist in employment law based in the Highlands. Kirk is recommended in both of the leading guides to the legal profession, Chambers and Partners and Legal 500.
Who’s this for?
- ICAS Members
- ICAS Students