13 June – Dealing with HMRC enquiries – a practical session
In the backdrop of HMRC seeking to reduce the gap between tax due and tax collected, HMRC enquiries can be time-consuming and it can be challenging for tax practitioners to help their clients navigate the process and allow them to get back to running their business.
In this webinar, our experts highlighted the practical issues that you and/or your clients need to be aware of and how to ensure that you can be fully prepared for an enquiry, should one be opened by HMRC. They outlined HMRC’s information and inspection powers, the Alternative Dispute Resolution process and topical issues that are currently arising in HMRC enquiries. Our experts also covered the steps you could take to reduce the perceived risk of an enquiry, as well as outlined the benefits of Tax Fee Protection Insurance so that your clients can be covered for the professional fees in dealing with a dispute with HMRC.
After the panel discussion, there was also an opportunity for attendees to ask questions during the live Q&A session.
(Duration 1 hour. Originally recorded on 13 June 2023)
Key themes and topics
- Current topical issues arising on HMRC enquiries
- HMRC’s information and inspection powers under an enquiry
- Alternative Dispute Resolution process
- Tips on how to prepare for a HMRC enquiry for you or your client
- Understand the benefits of taking out Tax Fee Protection Insurance
Hosts & Speakers
(Please note that views and opinions expressed by speakers at ICAS webinars are their own and not necessarily reflective of ICAS’ views.)
- Host: Chris Campbell CA CTA, Head of Tax (Tax Practice and Owner Managed Business Taxes), ICAS
- Wendy Ramsay CA, Tax Investigations Senior Manager, Johnston Carmichael
- James Cordiner, Tax Investigations Manager, Markel Tax
Who’s this for?
- CAs working in Tax
- CAs working in Business
- CAs working in Practice
- Non members with an interest in HMRC enquiries
Counts as CPD activity
Depending upon your individual role and training and development needs, watching this webinar on-demand can count towards your annual Continuing Professional Development (CPD) requirement.