Data analysis with Excel – advanced
Member price in Scotland and for Online Live: £335 + VAT
Non-member price in Scotland and for Online Live: £395 + VAT
Member price in England: £566 + VAT
Non-member price in England: £666 + VAT
Please note, due to differences regarding external costs, courses outside of Scotland are priced separately. ICAS members are eligible for a discounted price on all courses running in England.
London, 24 February 2023
London, 5 July 2023
London, 14 December 2023
Online Live, 20 April 2023
Online Live, 3 August 2023
Online Live, 25 October 2023
Edinburgh, 12 December 2023
Many of us struggle with the sheer amount of data that is available in this information age. In many cases, reports are built to present the data, but find that the end result still has a limiting structure and usability.
This one day course provides attendees with hands-on techniques with a focus on keeping things dynamic and expandable. Covering structured references, dynamic listing techniques, scenario modelling, and through the exercises we will get to use some of the more unexplored functions and areas in Excel.
Who should attend
The course material includes advanced features of Excel and participants will gain the maximum benefit from this course if they have already attended the Data analysis with Excel – intermediate course and / or are already competent spreadsheet users. This course is designed for users who use Excel on a regular basis, and are looking to further their knowledge in producing more robust spreadsheets.
At a minimum, it is assumed that participants will know how to:
- Use some of the functions explained on the Intermediate level of this course
- Navigate confidently in Excel
- Use absolute cell references (e.g =$A$1)
- Create and use nested functions, or at least have an understanding of the benefits of nesting functions together.
What you will learn
One of the key themes for the session is to keep data sets dynamic and expandable for minimum maintenance. We explore advanced functions and more complex techniques in nesting and facilitating calculations.
- Advanced listing techniques
- Tricks in creating dependent lists
- Dynamic selection tips
- Dynamic extraction of unique values
- Facilitating calculations
- Dynamic and expandable named ranges
- Multi-nested functions / expandable referencing
- Structured table references / Table nomenclature
- Aggregate calculation using the ‘wildcard’ technique
- Key functions
- DSUM / SUMPRODUCT / SUMIFS (& building conditions)
- Lookup: OFFSET / CHOOSE / INDEX / MATCH
- Further advanced techniques for summarising & presenting data
- Mini Pivot Table reports
- Fast calculations with Data Tables
- Data modelling with Scenario Manager
- Bonus topics:
- Dashboard techniques to build an interactive screen
- Simple VBA exercises to speed up processes
- Tips and tricks in custom formatting
All exercises and project files used on the course will be available to take home.
Information for Online Live dates
Please read the following guidance carefully, which applies only if you are attending this course online:
- In addition to the Online Classroom, you will need to have your own version of Excel open to complete the exercises
- It does prove to be challenging to follow-on with the exercises using only 1 screen as you will need to be regularly switching between open windows. We recommend to either:
- Extend from a computer to a 2nd screen, or
- Use 2 computers, or
- Use a tablet for the online classroom and a computer for the Excel
- Please note that our courses are based on Excel for Windows and it is recommended that you are using at least Excel 2010 or a later version. MAC users are welcome but please note that there may be some tools and functionality that will differ from what is being presented. The presenter will accommodate for MAC versions on the course.
BPP | Tel: 0330 060 3303 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org