Taxation of employee expenses call for evidence
HM Treasury issued a call for evidence in connection with employee work-related expenses and tax reliefs on 20 March 2017 which was updated on 5 May 2017.
The call for evidence seeks views from employers and stakeholders on the following areas:
- Current employer practise on employee expenses.
- Current tax rules on employee expenses
- The future of employee expenses.
The main objectives of the call for evidence are to understand:
- If the current rules or their administration can be clearer and simpler.
- Whether the tax rules for expenses are fit for purpose in the modern economy.
- Why the cost to the exchequer of the tax relief for expenses which are not reimbursed has increased.
The original deadline for submissions was 12 June 2017, but due to the election, it has been deferred to 10 July 2017.