The Digital Revolution - what finance professionals need to know
Member price: £361 + VAT
Non-member price: £425 + VAT
London, 11 April 2019
What you will learn
This one day course will cover the important areas in this ever-changing Digital age including FinTech, Blockchain, Cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin, AI, Big Data, Cybersecurity and the IoT (Internet of Things).
Technology follows an exponential curve – it is getting faster and having a greater impact. How do you respond when the disruption starts to threaten an industry near you? The good news is that the same disruption brings many opportunities but they all require leadership. Burying your head in the sand is not an option.
The course will include sessions on:
- FinTech, Blockchain & Cryptocurrencies
- All things Data - including AI, Big Data, CyberSecurity and the IoT…
- Leadership in the age of acceleration
The attendee list for this event is exclusively available to CAs.
To connect with other CAs in your community attending this event sign into icas.com
View full event details
9.30am: FinTech, Blockchain and Cryptocurrencies
- The birth of cryptocurrencies
- The history of money and linkages to The Financial Crisis 2007-2009
- Comparison between cryptocurrencies and fiat currencies: quantitative easing; monetary policies; anonymity, tax treatment, transaction speed and costs
- The mechanics of Bitcoin: supply; pricing
- Bubbles: historical bubbles; are cryptocurrencies a bubble?
- Cryptocurrencies today: leading coins; market capitalisation; types of tokens (equity vs security vs utility)
- Blockchain: Internet of Things (IoT); wisdom of crowds – a ‘bank killing’ technology?; current commercial examples
- FinTech: A.I. and big data; cryptography; distributed computing; mobile computing
- Future: market size; policymakers; Central Bank Digital Currencies (CBDC); MNC’s issuing their own cryptocurrencies; the unbanked and the underbanked; challenges for taxation & accounting rules
1.45pm: All things Data - including AI, Big Data, Cybersecurity and the IoT…
- Gathering data. We begin with an introduction to Big Data – what it is and why it is different to data we have seen in the past. We will also consider the technological advances that have enabled Big Data to emerge: smartphone technology, the Internet of Things and cloud computing
- Processing data. Big Data is too complex to be processed using traditional analytical tools. However, we will see how the latest advances in Artificial Intelligence technology offer a potential solution that could unpack Big Data’s full potential
- Using data. The practical applications of Big Data and AI will be illustrated using real-life examples. These examples raise technical, commercial and ethical questions which are being described as “the most important conversation of our time.”
- Protecting data. As the power of Big Data increases, so does our need and duty to keep it safe. We will consider the unique problems of cyber security before discussing how they might be addressed in practical terms.
3.30pm: Leadership In The Age of Acceleration
This final session will give you a simple leadership process for successfully navigating the future and all it brings in.
- Identify and understand the nature of the changes impacting your industry
- Clearly define an inspiring vision for your organisation
- Develop a strategy for effectively navigating your path through a changing world
Tel: 0330 060 3303