Becoming a partner

Congratulations on becoming a partner! This important step brings with it a number of additional responsibilities and this section is designed to help all new principals navigate their way, whether you are a partner in a partnership or LLP, or a director of a limited company.

New sole practitioners who are starting up in practice should click here for information relevant to them. 

What do you need to do next?

Apply for a Practising Certificate (PC)

As an ICAS member, the first thing a new Principal needs to do is apply for a Practising Certificate (PC). Any principals who are members of other bodies will need to check with their membership body whether they require a PC.

You will need to complete an initial PC application form as part of this process.

Practising Certificate application form PDF [355 KB]

Annual requirements

Each year you will need to ensure that:

Appropriate Continuing Professional Development (CPD) is undertaken and recorded annually. Find out more about CPD.

You should renew your Practising Certificate each year via the member's Annual Return[ED2] .



  • Practice hub

Previous page