An essential introduction to financial markets
Member price: £246.50 + VAT
Non-member price: £290 + VAT
Please note, the ICAS member discount will be refunded after checkout.
Edinburgh, 1 November 2016
This course provides broad 1 day coverage of the key financial markets with a focus on how London and UK finance fit into global financial markets. Main topics include: the historical background to the UK financial services industry ("The City"); the role of the Bank of England and the Regulator; Money Markets; Capital Markets- Bonds and Equities; Intro to Derivatives (Futures, Swaps and Options).
Investigate the financial risks faced by companies and how the city can mitigate them, and the buy side v. sell side and types of financial institutions. Help to understand the role of the bank of England and the financial regulator (FCA/ PRA)
Learn the basic principles of currency and money markets.
Capital Markets – Explore the basic mechanics of how bonds work (price and yield) and the different types (Gilts, Eurobonds etc.)
Capital Markets – An introduction to listed stocks and shares – types, how they are valued and traded; stock market indices – composition and use
Derivatives - A review of the basic types of derivatives: futures, options and swaps.
This course may benefit financial professionals who need to understand the 'big picture' of modern finance, and how all the different product areas and instruments fit together. How institutions trade and make money from these instruments. This course is a useful introduction to anyone needing a refresher on how finance works, or an introduction to capital market products like bonds and derivatives, before attempting more advanced courses in those areas.
The attendee list for this event is exclusively available to CAs.
To connect with other CAs in your community attending this event sign into icas.com
Full speaker list
All of the presenters have extensive experience in accountancy training, specialising in financial accounting under IFRS and UK Financial Reporting. Having also worked in industry our speakers bring the wealth of their experience to the practical issues which can arise when reporting on an accounting framework. All of the speakers therefore have strong technical knowledge of financial accounting.
View full event details
Introduction to the City and the different financial markets
Buy Side vs. Sell Side - a description of the Functions of:
- Investment banks
- Commercial banks
- Private banks
- Hedge funds
- Other financial institutions
Role of the Central Bank and Regulator
- What does the Central Bank do?
- Role of the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and Prudential Regulatory Authority (PRA)
Currency and Money Markets
- Currency market - Spot and forward
- Money markets - T-bills, certificates of deposit and repos
- Interest rates - Process of setting rates and implications for the macro economy
- Basic mechanics of price and yield
- UK gilts
- Corporate bonds
- Ratings agencies
- Warrants and convertibles
- Nature of shares - Ordinary and preference
- Primary market - New issues of equities
- Secondary market trading
- Market indices
- Investor ratios - Earnings per share, Price/Earnings ratio
Introduction to Derivatives
- Futures - Definition and terminology, using futures: speculators/hedgers
- Options - Definition and terminology, simple uses of options: calls and puts
- Interest rate swaps
- Commodity markets such as LME
Insurance and Shipping Markets (mentioned briefly)
- Lloyd's of London
- Baltic Exchange
Tel: 0330 060 3303