Vacancies at ICAS
ICAS is a professional body for more than 20,000 world class business men and women who work in the UK and in more than 100 countries around the world. Our members have all achieved the internationally recognised and respected CA qualification (Chartered Accountant). We are an educator, examiner, regulator, and thought leader.
To lead the global accountancy and finance profession, we look to employ unique and talented people. We're committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting our staff and have a range of benefits for those who work for us.
Listed below are current vacancies at ICAS:
ITP Taxation of Companies Examiner
Vacancy for ICAS Tax Professional (ITP) Taxation of Companies Examiner
ICAS has been educating and training Chartered Accountants (CA) for over 160 years, and introduced the ICAS Tax Professional (ITP) qualification in 2011. ITP is a professional tax-qualification designed to equip individuals with a breadth of knowledge of all key taxes, and to develop their skills to apply this knowledge to a client scenario. The Taxation of Companies paper is one of three papers at the main technical level of the qualification – the ‘Skills and Advice’ level. Exams are currently sat twice a year.
The three subjects at the ’Skills and Advice’ level are: Taxation of Individuals, Taxation of Companies and Indirect Tax. These exams test technical knowledge and the ability to apply and communicate this to a client or colleague in a given scenario. The Taxation of Companies paper includes UK Corporation Tax and also relevant overseas aspects. A copy of the ITP syllabus is attached.
The maintenance of integrity, standing and professional standards in all aspects of the ITP qualification is vital to ICAS. The ITP Exam Panel, in setting the exams of the three ‘Skills and Advice’ subjects, plays an intrinsic part in maintaining those values and standards. Through the consistency and rigour of the examination process, the Exam Panel helps ensure that the reputation of the ITP Qualification is upheld.
The CA Education division is looking to appoint a ITP Taxation of Companies examiner to the examination team.
Terms of Reference
The terms of reference for an ITP Taxation of Companies Examiner are as follows:
- Preparation for, and attendance and participation in ITP Exam Panel meetings for paper review for the ITP exam papers of all ‘Skills and Advice’ subjects; and
- Ensuring that the ITP Taxation of Companies exam papers are prepared in accordance with ICAS requirements.
Skills and Experience
Ideally, applicants will be qualified accountants/tax professionals with at least five years’ post qualifying experience and a strong practical knowledge of Taxation of Companies. The successful applicant is likely to have an established interest in education and to have marked professional examinations.
Time Commitment and Remuneration
The time commitment will average approximately 15 business days per year and the appointment will run for an initial period of three years.
The ITP Taxation of CompaniesExaminer will receive a fee of £5,225 pa plus travel expenses in accordance with the ICAS expenses policy.
Interested applicants should submit a CV detailing their relevant experience to Hayley Reid, ICAS Examinations Manager (email@example.com) by 15 September 2017.
Programme Manager/Co-ordinator (Professional Development)
Edinburgh – 6 month fixed-term contract
An excellent opportunity has arisen for a Programme Manager/Co-ordinator to join the Professional Development team within ICAS on a fixed-term, 6-month contract. Reporting to the Director of People, the main purpose of this role is to manage the professional development programme available to ICAS members to deliver the strategic business objectives of ICAS and meet the associated divisional KPI’s.
The main elements comprise co-ordination and management of the programme framework for professional development, which includes the ICAS career mentoring programme.
Key accountabilities of this role include:
- Co-ordinating cross ICAS activities to ensure comprehensive professional development offering for key segments i.e. delivering a career Insights video series, co-ordinating online webinars and courses.
- Responsible for high quality and timely support to members regarding professional development opportunities i.e. mentoring participants registering and participating in this online programme.
- Management of the web content for professional development, liaising with internal (Digital and others) and external parties to maintain and improve all relevant and appropriate content i.e. quality control of course content.
- Representing ICAS at meetings with members, third parties and other stakeholders to progress professional development opportunities for members.
- Participation in the direction and management of professional development within ICAS ensuring all relevant division leads are engaged in the programme
- Supporting other ICAS Divisions as appropriate in matters of professional development.
- To support the Programme Manager and Director of People in the operational support of the BPP/ICAS professional development partnership as directed. This partnership delivers face to face courses in the UK and online courses around the world.
This role has dependencies with other parties which require strong management and collaboration to succeed.
Knowledge and Experience
The ideal candidate for this role would be a Graduate with experience in organisation of learning and development initiatives for professionals. The role requires a self-starting individual with a consistent style who enjoys researching facts and information. A high level of attention to detail, analytical skills and accuracy are required, as well as the ability to effectively influence and motivate others.
The ideal candidate would be highly organised with the ability to work in a methodical, systematic and precise manner and can communicate with key stakeholders in an analytical manner within a technical area of expertise. The role requires an individual with an assertive style who can react quickly and positively to change.
If you would like to apply, please send a CV and cover letter outlining why you are the ideal candidate for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications is Monday 28 August 2017 at 5pm.
Finance Manager (Business Transformation)
Edinburgh – Fixed-term contract until February 2019
An excellent opportunity has arisen for a Finance Transformation Manager to join the team at ICAS to provide financial planning support for the Digital Transformation programme. The role is on a fixed-term contract until February 2019.
Key accountabilities of this role include:
Providing finance & budgetary support to the Business Transformation Programme Manager:
- Monitoring progress against Business Case & cashflow;
- Tracking financial costs & benefits;
- Determining expense & capital spend.
Contributing financial perspective to the Transformation teams:
- Act as finance lead when Head of Finance not available or as delegated;
- Researching alternate approaches to status quo;
- Checking specification of current inputs & outputs and specifying inputs & outputs of new systems;
- Working with finance & other staff to create process flow for new systems;
- Supporting testing & parallel running of new systems to prove compliance;
- Ensuring internal controls are maintained & strengthened as part of the change process.
Supporting the Head of Finance with project costs & cashflow to be included in ICAS management accounts & forecasts:
- Preparation of the management accounts for the Digital Transformation department.
Providing assistance on adhoc finance and management tasks to allow the Head of Finance to be involved in the Digital Transformation project:
- Year end documents & reconciliations;
- Information gathering and writing of audit committee papers and policy reviews;
- Any other adhoc projects as required.
Knowledge & Experience
The ideal candidate for this role would be a qualified accountant with a range of experience across different sectors using different finance and management systems.
The role requires a highly organised individual with the ability to self-manage and prioritise to meet deadlines. They should have excellent people skills in order to direct, liaise, challenge and negotiate with staff across ICAS and possess project and change management skills to introduce new systems and workflows across the organisation.
If you would like to apply, please send your CV and a covering letter outlining why you are the ideal candidate for the role to email@example.com
Closing date for applications: Monday 28th August 2017 at 5pm.
Volunteering opportunities at ICAS
ICAS also has a range of volunteering opportunities available for CAs, including voluntary charity positions, voluntary committee opportunities, and volunteer opportunities for members who are retired or on a career break.