Excel power business intelligence tools
Member price in Scotland: £335.75 + VAT
Non-member price in Scotland: £395 + VAT
Please note, the ICAS member discount will be applied after checkout.
Member price in England: £539 + VAT
Non-member price in England: £634 + VAT
Please note, due to differences regarding external costs, courses outside of Scotland are priced separately. ICAS members are eligible for a discounted price on all courses running in England & Wales.
Edinburgh, 18 November 2020
Birmingham, 16 October 2020
London, 18 December 2020
This course covers the newly introduced range of Excel Power BI tools (Power Business Intelligence). Learn how to use all of these latest features introduced in Excel which will help in business processing, data analysis, financial reporting, and with day-to-day decision making.
This one-day course is very hands-on with Excel and offers all the advice and software practice utilising these advanced tools which include, building queries to extract, transform, and load data, and also to create elegant data models with Power Pivot. This involves analysing multiple data sets, working with cross-sectional data, merging different sets to create one data model, and using a key range of brand-new formulas in Excel.
The course also covers an introduction into the world of DAX formulas (Data Analysis Expressions), designed to work with relational data and perform dynamic aggregation.
All of the latest Excel power BI tools in one course!
What you will learn
Introduction to Power Pivot
- How Power Pivot differs from a PivotTable
- Filtering rows /columns
- Combining data sources
Power Pivot data models
- Create a Power Pivot data model
- Extract meaningful insight from a data model
- Dynamic filters with slicers and timelines
- Creating and editing data relationships
Import from external sources
- The Power Query interface | how to use it
- Managing data sources and queries (inc. databases)
- Extract and transform data | column, row and calculated transform actions
Introduction to DAX (BI) functions
- What is DAX?
- How to create effective DAX formulas
- Functions: SUMX; CALCULATE; RELATED; AGGREGATE; FILTER; and more
Further Power Query features
- Output to a Power Pivot data model
- Automate reoccurring tasks
- Brief intro to the ‘M’ language
- Setup and overview of Power Map
- Localising data & geographic plots across the globe
- Timeline video
- DAX cheat sheet
- Fully integrated Power Report to take away for own use
- Further exploration and advice into queries and database connectivity
- Homework topics for further study
Note that the course content is compatible with the following versions of Excel:
Excel 2013 Professional Plus
Excel 2016 Professional Plus
Office 365 ProPlus
All exercises and project files used on the course will be available to take home.
Who should attend
- Finance and data professionals
- Data analysts
- Junior accountants
- Spreadsheet authors
- Excel power users
- Finance managers
The course material includes advanced features of Excel and participants will gain the maximum benefit from this course if they are already competent spreadsheet users. At a minimum, it is assumed that participants will know how to do some of the following:
- Navigate confidently in Excel
- An understanding of the benefits in nesting functions
- Work with inherited spreadsheets from others
- Enjoy using Excel for analysis and similar business processes, using tools such as PivotTables
BPP | Tel: 0330 060 3303 | Email: email@example.com