Internal Audit and Compliance Manager | Glasgow
Recruiter: Rutherford Cross, specialists in finance recruitment
Contract type: Permanent
Interested in this role?
About the opportunity
Rutherford Cross are working on behalf of The Denholm Group, who are recruiting for an Internal Audit Manager & Compliance Manager.
The role is based in the J&J Denholm Head Office in Glasgow with the successful candidate reporting to the Group Company Secretary. There will be a requirement to travel fairly regularly.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced Internal Auditor to take the lead on the Internal Audit strategy across the business and implement the annual audit plan, while taking responsibility for compliance across the group.
About the role
The position will be responsible for the following key deliverables -
- Drive the assurance and risk management agenda within the wider business.
- Manage and refine internal audit standards, methodologies, tools and templates, ensuring they are in line with best practice.
- Develop and execute an internal audit programme which is tailored to the risk profile of each business, with buy-in from key stakeholders.
- Oversight and instruction of external advisors to ensure a timely and valuable delivery whilst maintaining quality standards.
- Lead and deliver assurance reviews and conduct regular site visits.
- Communication - written and verbal - of key findings and recommendations for improvement at the conclusion of each assurance review to the relevant business stakeholder(s).
- Regular reporting on the delivery of the internal audit plan.
- Take ownership for Group wide compliance policies by developing and helping to implement them across the business, particularly Anti Bribery & Corruption, Data Protection and Modern Slavery.
- Ensure compliance with standard processes and policies already in existence.
- Support the business through training employees on regulations and policies, as well as the impact of non-compliance, on the organisation.
- Collaborate with other areas of the business to create a culture of compliance.
About the individual
The successful candidate will come from a large firm/business background where they will have a firm awareness of best practice approaches to risk management and internal controls. It is likely that the individual will be CA/ACA qualified and, ideally, have trained with a Big 4 or large accountancy practice. The nature of the role may also lend itself to candidates who are Internal Audit professionals (e.g. IIA qualified) and trained in an industry environment.
It is critical that the Internal Audit & Compliance Manager can balance the requirement to lead from the front on assurance and risk reviews whilst demonstrating credibility, composure and gravitas to operate autonomously in a sometimes challenging and fast-paced environment to gain the confidence of the senior management team.
- Degree qualified with a strong academic track record.
- Professional Qualified Accountant with a minimum of 5 years post-qualification experience in industry or in professional practice. Or Certified Internal Auditor
- Able to demonstrate excellent presentation and written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to build strong relationships quickly at all levels of the business.
- Track record of working in a face-paced environment.
- Strong technical background.
- Excellent IT skills including MS Office.
- Detailed understanding of best practice approaches to developing internal audit and risk management programmes.
- The position requires a high calibre individual who has strong interpersonal skills, is detail orientated and possesses excellent technical knowledge.
What to do next
To find out more or see a full Position Profile, please contact their retained advisor, Amy Peoples at Rutherford Cross.
Please note that any direct or third party approaches will be sent to Rutherford Cross for review and assessment.