Alterledger Practice Manager | Glasgow
Opportunity for an experienced CA
Contract type: Permanent
Closing date: 15 April 2021
Interested in this role?
About the opportunity
The position of practice manager is a new role created in response to the growing demand for Alterledger’s services. The post holder will report to Tim Alter, director of Alterledger and be responsible for managing a committed team to deliver excellent customer service through operational and commercial success.
About the company
Alterledger is a Glasgow accountancy practice and Xero partner specialising in the service sector and charities, with a focus on the creative industries and professional services. The company is fully digital using cloud based systems across the business. The office is paperless – no plastic bags full of receipts!
About the role
The job is office-based in Legal House. The Alterledger offices are modern, spacious, well ventilated and covid compliant. There are good transport links with easy access to mainline railway stations, underground and bus services. The company is committed to promoting sustainability; offering a bike to work scheme to all staff on completion of their probationary period.
You will be working closely with your colleagues to maintain the high standards that the clients of Alterledger expect. The job requires a large degree of teamwork, especially in the early stages of training. The successful candidate will need to be available to work in the Alterledger office from their start date.
The role allows opportunity for personal development and financial bonus based on commercial results. You will be supported by Tim and support Tim to enable the growth of Alterledger. There is a pathway to directorship of the company for the right candidate.
The core hours of the job are 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, with a focus on results rather than timesheets. You will have the flexibility to plan your workday and hours to suit you.
Applicants will be required to evidence the following:
- Eligibility to work in the UK
- Membership of a UK chartered accountancy body with 5 years post qualified experience
- Experience of working in an accountancy practice
- Xero adviser certification
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills
- Experience of preparing statutory reports for HMRC and other external stakeholders e.g. VAT (MTD), Payroll, Self
- Assessment, Corporation Tax, FRS105, FRS 102, OSCR.
- Clear and professional written and interpersonal communication, especially over the phone and using video technology
- Resilience in the face of setbacks
- Creative approach to problem solving
- Ability to balance initiative with seeking help
- Conscientious and attention to detail
- Understanding of Alterledger values
- Congruence with Alterledger values
- Self-management and management of others
- Experience of leading a team
- Commitment to continuous development
- Enquiring and analytical mind with a growth mindset
- Practising certificate holder
- Experience of working with clients in the creative industries and professional services
- Understanding of the third sector and social enterprise
- Understanding of HR processes
- Experience of writing process notes
- Understanding of management theory e.g. Adair – Action Centred Leadership, Lencioni – 5 Dysfunctions of a Team,
- Hersey and Blanchard – Situational Leadership Model
You will be able to show that you have the following personal qualities:
Up to five candidates will be invited for an initial interview by Zoom, to be held starting Wednesday 7th April 2021. The interview will last 30 minutes and require you to have a computer with a webcam. You will be required to have Excel loaded on your machine and be able to share your screen for the interview.
Please email your CV and concise covering letter to email@example.com. Your covering letter must include your expectations of the job and address your suitability for the position. A maximum of five candidates will be notified if they have been selected for interview in person following the zoom interview. Send your application as soon as you like, but before 1pm on Tuesday 6 April 2021 to get to the top of the list. When five candidates have been identified for Zoom interviews, Alterledger reserves to the right to stop processing further applications.
Up to five applicants will be invited for interview at Legal House from Wednesday 14th April 2021. You will be interviewed by Tim Alter and have the opportunity to evidence the skills and experience required for the job.
The post holder will have the following responsibilities:
- Support business development
- Client onboarding
- Training and development
- Updating existing and writing new process notes
- Balancing workload to ensure all deadlines are met
- Recruitment and appraisal of junior staff
- Keeping up to date with changes to accounting standards and ensuring that accounts are filed to comply with statutory requirements
- Identifying and using software to improve the service to clients
The salary is £40,000 – £50,000 + Pension + Performance related bonus. Your ideas will support the growth of Alterledger. As Alterledger grows so will your pay.