Routes to becoming a Chartered Accountant (CA)
How to become a CA
Depending on your current circumstances, there are a number of ways you can become a CA with ICAS. For starters, you don't need to have been to university if you want to be a CA, and if you're a graduate, it doesn't matter what degree you studied.
There are different routes to becoming a CA which include:
- Direct entry route for school-leavers
- Graduate entry route for university graduates
- Professional entry route for experienced finance professionals
- Pathways entry route for Chartered professionals
- Accountancy professional apprenticeship information
In order to become a Chartered Accountant, you will enter into a training contract with an ICAS authorised employer. This contract is in addition to your terms and conditions of employment and is an agreement between you, ICAS and your employer.
If you’re studying via the direct or graduate entry route, getting a training contract with one of our ICAS authorised employers is your first step towards becoming a CA.