Exemption form: hints and tips

By Eleanor O'Neill, Student Blog

26 June 2017

Did you know that certain qualifications may exempt you from up to five of your Test of Competence (TC) exam papers?

If you hold a degree or have previously been assessed as competent in subjects related to the TC course then you may be eligible for exemption from some of your exams at the discretion of your employer and the ICAS Exemptions Administrator.

There are three circumstances which may qualify you for partial TC exemption.

Member of another professional body

Full members of the Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT) may be exempt from TC Business Management and Financial Accounting courses if they have already successfully passed the AAT equivalent. In this case, you will need to provide your AAT membership certificate, full transcript and a completed AAT Member Exemption Form.

Similarly, ICAEW members may submit a transcript of their past results with a filled copy of the ICAEW Exemption Form.

Degree from an ICAS-accredited university

If you have a degree related to the subjects covered by the TC course then you may be exempt from up to five of the six examination papers. You can download a form relevant to your institution, year of graduation and specific module choices which must be fully completed and submitted along with your academic transcript (available from your university) in order to apply.

Your degree must be less than three years old and you must apply for all requested exemptions within the same form.

The universities that have courses accredited by ICAS include:

  • University of Aberdeen
  • University of Birmingham
  • The University of Edinburgh
  • University of Glasgow
  • Heriot-Watt University
  • Liverpool University
  • City University London
  • University of Stirling
  • University of Strathclyde
  • The University of Surrey
  • University of the West of Scotland

A full detailed list is available on ICAS.com. The parameters of each accreditation vary between institutions so make sure to check that your degree qualifies before submitting an exemption application.

Degree from a non-ICAS-accredited university

Some courses, while not currently accredited by ICAS, may still provide sufficient coverage of particular subjects that could qualify you for an exemption. For example, if you have completed a Business Law module in a course not included in the accredited list.

Your degree must be less than three years old and you must apply for all requested exemptions within the same form.

In addition to your academic transcript, you will need to provide:

You must fill out a syllabus coverage table for each TC subject you are applying to be exempt from and detail the university modules that you feel were appropriate counterparts.

The deadline for submitting exemption applications is Friday 28 July 2017.


  • CA Student blog

Previous Page