Cooking for the busy student - part two
We continue our series of healthy quick-cook / prepare meals for CA Students on the go. Free your time for studying, work, or pleasure!
Miso noodle soup
Prep and cooking time: 15 minutes
Ingredients: Instant miso soup, ready-cooked noodles, Tsuyu soup base, fresh vegetables such as broccoli, sugar snap peas, spring onions, carrots, spinach – the world is your oyster mushroom!
- Steam, boil or stir-fry your vegetables and noodles.
- Cook the miso soup according to packet instructions, and add the Tsuyu base.
- Add the noodles and vegetables.
- Serve and enjoy!
You can also add meat or fish of your choice, but this will add on to cooking time.
Kitchen sink frittata
CA Today writer Andy Harbison has created the 'Kitchen Sink' frittata, because “you can throw almost any ingredient into it and it will be a success”. Below is a vegetarian option, but he recommends adding some chorizo to your fried potatoes for a quick trip to Spain!
Prep and cooking time: 30 minutes
Ingredients: 6 large free-range eggs, 2 medium sized sweet potatoes, diced, 2 cloves of garlic, crushed, 1 red pepper, thinly sliced, bite sized florets of broccoli, halved plum tomatoes, spinach, 1 tbs dried oregano, grated smoked cheddar and parmesan, large pinch of salt and pepper, 1 tbs olive oil.
- Set your grill on high.
- Place a medium-sized, ovenproof frying pan over a medium heat on the hob and add the oil.
- When the oil is hot add the sweet potato and broccoli along with the salt and pepper. Fry for 10-15 minutes until they are lightly golden and soft.
- Add the crushed garlic and fry for a further two minutes.
- Crack the six eggs directly into the pan. Make sure to space them out around the pan and break them up by whisking lightly with a fork. Tilt the pan to ensure the egg spreads all along the edges.
- Add the pepper, tomatoes and spinach and sprinkle over the oregano from a height. Allow to cook for 5 minutes until the egg becomes solid then sprinkle over the cheese.
- Pop the pan under the pre-heated grill until the cheese has melted and the eggs are fluffy. Serve with a simple salad of mixed green leaves.
Monster turkey burgers
Andy has also created his quick recipe for ‘Monster Turkey Burgers’ which are lean and take less than 12 minutes to completion!
"This recipe will easily make four mighty burgers. The spice mix used will enhance the meaty flavour of the turkey. The trick to cooking these is put them over a medium heat so as to not dry them out."
Prep and cooking time: 12 minutes
Ingredients: 500g turkey thigh mince, 1 small grated / finely chopped onion, 1 medium egg, chopped fresh coriander, 2 tsp smoked paprika, 2 tsp cumin, good pinch of salt and pepper, 1 tsp olive oil
- With the exception of the oil, add all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix until they have combined.
- Put a pan over a medium heat and add the oil.
- With wet hands shape the meat mixture into four even burgers and add to the pan.
- Cook for eight to 10 minutes each side until golden brown.
- That's it. We told you it was easy!
Spicy chicken & avocado wraps
Prep and cooking time: 12 minutes
Ingredients: sliced chicken breast(s), ½ lime juice, crushed garlic (1 clove), 1 tsp olive oil, wrap of your choice, pinch chilli powder, 1 avocado (halved and stoned), optional sprigs of fresh coriander, and your choice of additional vegetables (which can be pre-cooked from a jar)
- Mix chicken with lime juice, chilli and garlic while heating oil in pan.
- Pan-fry the chicken until cooked.
- Heat wraps (if needed) and place an avocado half onto each one.
- Mash the avocado down (avoiding tearing the wraps) and add any vegetables you would like, to the chicken mix.
- Add the finished mixture to your avocado wraps and add some coriander (optional).
We will continue our feature with even more time-saving and health-boosting recipes – if you have any suggestions you would like us to feature, send them on to firstname.lastname@example.org.