Top 10 facts from FRC
The Financial Reporting Council (FRC) produces the ‘Key Facts and Trends in the Accountancy Profession’ report: here are our top 10 facts from its latest summary report.
1. We keep on growing: total membership of accountancy bodies has grown to 335,000 members in the UK and ROI (compound annual growth of 2.5%), and over 485,000 worldwide (3.4% growth).
2. Student accountant numbers are growing at a faster rate outside the UK: there was a 3% worldwide increase in 2014 for all bodies.
3. ICAS had 2.7% growth in student members from 2013-2014.
4. Our students are more likely to work in public practice: over 80% of students at ICAS are in public practice, compared with 1% or less at CIPFA (71% in public sector) and CIMA (76% in industry and commerce).
5. Our students are least likely to work in the public sector.
6. Around 87% of ICAS students are aged 34 years and under.
7. ICAS has 149 approved training offices in the UK and ROI.
8. From 2010-2014, ICAS has experienced 7.8% growth in members.
9. You can learn at any time: in 2014, there were over 30,000 students aged 45 years and over, worldwide.
10. And finally, ICAS students are highly qualified: 98% enter their CA studies with a degree. The highest percentage of all seven accountancy bodies!