What CAs need to know this week: 23 May 2016
A look ahead to some of the things happening in business, accountancy and politics this week.
World leaders meet for G7 summit
The 42nd G7 summit will be held in Ise-Shima, Japan, on Thursday and conclude on Friday this week (26-27 May). Leaders from the UK, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan and the US will meet to discuss issues ranging from the global economy to the refugee crisis. It is also expected that the global leaders will address the problem of tax avoidance and call for further action to be taken to ensure tax transparency.
One Young CA closing date
Entries for this year's One Young CA competition will close this Friday (27 May). The list of 35 CAs under 35 will represent the most promising and talented young professionals who excel in their field. The overall winner of the competition will go on to represent ICAS at the One Young World Summit in Ottawa, Canada.
UK GDP Q1 estimate released
The second estimate of the UK GDP for Q1 will be released on Thursday (26 May). It is expected to remain unchanged at 0.4%, with the preliminary investment results for Q1 also being released. The last quarter contracted by 2%, which has been caused by the political uncertainty surrounding the UK's membership of the EU ahead of the referendum on 23 June.
ICAS Tax Conference
The ICAS Tax Conference will take place in Glasgow on Tuesday (24 May). Speakers at the event will include representatives from the world of politics, the Big Four, HMRC and across the profession.
Arcadia executives questioned over BHS collapse
The House of Commons Business Committee will question bosses from Arcadia over the collapse of the high street store BHS this week. The Committee will focus on issues surrounding the BHS pensions fund, the role of the directors in the sale of BHS and the checks carried out on Retail Acquisitions Limited before their purchase of BHS
Results from Marks & Spencer, PayPoint and Daily Mail
- Monday: Finals due from Tissue Regenix Group.
- Tuesday: Interims due from UK Mail, Renew Holdings and Easyhotel. Finals due from AVEVA, Entertainment one, Big Yellow and Hogg Robinson.
- Wednesday: Interims due from Ediston Property Investment, Ground Rents Income Trust and Shaftesbury. Finals due from Marks & Spencer, NewRiver Retail and Babcock International .
- Thursday: Interims due from Daily Mail and Urban & Civic. Finals due from PayPoint, United Utilities and Lombard Risk Management.
- Friday: Finals due from Nature Group.