What CAs need to know this week: 18 April 2016
A look ahead to some of the things happening in business, accountancy and politics this week.
President Barack Obama to visit UK
US President Barack Obama arrives in London for meetings and an anticipated news conference with Prime Minister David Cameron this Thursday. The President made comments last week seemingly backing Britain remaining in the EU. The meeting will come days after Chancellor George Osborne appears before the House of Commons Treasury Committee on Tuesday to discuss the benefits and risks of Britain remaining part of the EU.
UK unemployment figures released
A drop in UK unemployment is expected when figures are released from the ONS this Wednesday. Although economists say this is a positive sign overall, the figure may also show that the total hours worked is growing faster than the GDP. If this is the case, the resulting fall in productivity could explain the relatively low rate of inflation.
ICAS holds the Big Scottish Election Debate
ICAS will be hosting the Big Scottish Election Debate this week, bringing together politicians from all the major parties to debate the big issues affecting Scotland ahead of the 5 May vote.
The panel for the debate will include:
- John Swinney MSP, Deputy First Minister and Finance Secretary (Scottish National Party)
- Ian Murray MP, Shadow Scottish Secretary (Labour Party)
- Murdo Fraser MSP, Convener of the Scottish Parliament’s Economy Committee (Scottish Conservative Party)
- Patrick Harvie MSP, Co-Convener of the Scottish Green Party (Scottish Green Party)
- Alex Cole Hamilton, Scottish Liberal Democrat candidate for Edinburgh Western (Scottish Liberal Democrats)
Greek bailout talks continue
The Greek bailout talk are not in crisis according to Jeroen Dijsselbloem, President of the Eurogroup of eurozone finance ministers. He added that the group was getting “very close (to an agreement over reform targets) so I'm not for all this crisis talk. If we concentrate on where we are and try and push it through we'll get it done far before the summer". The talks continue on Monday in Athens.
Results due from Saga, ARM Holdings and Sky
Here’s a list of some of the results due this week
- Monday: Finals due from City Merchants High Yield Trust, Eleco and Mayair Group. A trading update is due from Centrica, Reckitt Benckiser and Rio Tinto.
- Tuesday: Interims due from Associated British Foods, Connect Group and Mccarthy Stone. Finals due from Saga, Defenx and Peoples Operators. Trading updates are due from Ashmore Group and BHP Billiton.
- Wednesday: Interims due from Kcell Jsc, ARM Holdings and Punch Taverns. Trading updates are due from Moneysupermarket.com and Hochschild Mining.
- Thursday: Interims due from Sky and Acacia Mining. Finals due from Corero Network Security. Trading updates due from Anglo American, Ladbrokes, SABMiller and Segro.
- Friday: Interims due from Caterpillar.