Five things CAs need to know this week: 9 July 2018
A look ahead to some of the things happening in business, accountancy and politics this week.
1. US President Donald Trump to visit UK Prime Minister on 13 July
He will also likely meet with the Queen and visit one of the golf courses he owns in Ayrshire and Aberdeenshire. President Trump will be the 12th US President to visit Britain while in office.
News of the US leader's visit has sparked planned protest action.
2. ICAS to host Summer Social event for CAs in London
ICAS students and newly-qualified CAs are set to gather in the heart of London for the 2018 ICAS London Summer Social on 12 July, organised by the Young Leaders Network.
This annual event brings together young and soon-to-be CAs in the City to connect and network with each other. It is a highly-anticipated staple of the ICAS calendar and offers the perfect opportunity to broaden your professional horizons.
The London Summer Social starts at 6pm on the rooftop terrace of Grange St Paul's, making it the perfect time and place to meet after work and engage with fellow rising stars of the profession.
3. NATO heads of government to convene in Brussels
North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) leaders of state and government will gather for a summit in Brussels on 11-12 July.
A key point of discussion is likely to be the recent criticism of defence spending. US President Donald Trump sent letters to this effect ahead of the meeting, citing 2014 commitments of NATO allies to increase national defence budgets to at least 2% of GDP.
The summit commences at 11am (BST) and is expected to close early Thursday afternoon.
4. Report due on impact of Brexit in the technology sector
techUK, a collective representing over 950 companies in the UK technology sector, will publish a report on the expected impact of Brexit on Monday 9 July.
Speaking about the paper, MEP for London, Syed Kamall commented: "The UK’s attractiveness as a location for tech companies to invest and set up shop will rely on how free-flowing data is, which will be dependent on our cross-border data sharing agreements with other jurisdictions, especially the EU."
5. Updates from Burberry Group, Ten Entertainment Group, Ocado Group, Photo-Me International
- Tuesday: Interim due from Ocado Group Plc. Finals due from AdEPT Telecom, Begbies Traynor Group, Collagen Solutions Plc and Photo-Me International.
- Wednesday: Interims due from Burberry Group and Low & Bonar. Finals due from Micro Focus International.
- Thursday: Interim due from Ten Entertainment Group.