Five things CAs need to know this week: 8 May 2017
A look ahead to some of the things happening in business, accountancy and politics this week.
1. France's new President-elect will make first official appearance
Newly-elected Emmanuel Macron will make his first official appearance alongside current President Hollande today (Monday 8 May) at the annual ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Paris.
It was announced on Sunday night that Macron had outpaced opponent Marine Le Pen by around 65.5% of votes to 34.5%. He will be France's youngest ever President at the age of 39.
UK Prime Minister Theresa May said: "France is one of our closest allies and we look forward to working with the new President."
2. Nick Clegg to attend Westminster event discussing the impact of Brexit
On 13 May, Nick Clegg will speak at The Convention on Brexit and the Political Crash.
The aim of the two-day event it to, "hold the debate that is absent from Parliament on the deep impacts of Brexit, and focus on the danger to democratic and liberal values posed by the political crash in the West."
Other speaker's include Alastair Campbell, Lisa Nandy and Bob Geldof.
3. Inflation report due from Bank of England Monetary Policy Committee
The next set of inflation projections from the Bank of England's Monetary Policy Committee are due on Thursday 11 May.
Last quarter's report, released in February 2017, maintained rates at 0.25% and the Committee increased its central expectation for growth in 2017 to 2.0%.
4. Preliminary GDP growth figures for Germany to be released
First quarter preliminary growth data on the German gross domestic product is due for release on Friday 12 May.
GDP grew by 1.9% in Germany last year, the economy's highest performance in five years. Strong business and industrial figures in January and February suggest further growth is likely this year.
5. Results due from TalkTalk, Arrow Global, Porta Communications, Treatt
- Monday: Interims due from Georgia Healthcare Group, Numis Corporation and Toople.
- Tuesday: Interims due from Cambria Automobiles and Treatt. Finals due from Centralnic Group and TyraTech.
- Wednesday: Interims due from BGEO Group and Compass Group. Finals due from Braemar Shipping Services, TalkTalk Telecom Group and Warpaint London.
- Thursday: Interims due from Magnitogorsk Iron & Steel Works, Arrow Global Group, On The Beach Group and Telefonica SA. Finals due from Porta Communications.
- Friday: Finals due from Hydrodec Group.