Five things CAs need to know this week: 7 August 2017
A look ahead to some of the things happening in business, accountancy and politics this week.
1. ONS report expected to show uptick in UK manufacturing
The Office for National Statistics (ONS) will publish the UK index of production for June 2017 on Thursday 10 August.
These figures are expected to show growth in the country's monthly manufacturing output and indicate an optimistic outlook for the sector in the second half of 2017.
2. HMRC to release overseas trade figures for UK
Details of the goods traded abroad by the UK in June 2017 will be released by HMRC on Thursday 10 August.
Previous figures showed that trade in May saw an increase in both import and export value compared to the previous year. UK imports exceeded £10.8bn for the month, largely from Germany, the US, China and various EU states.
The June statistics were originally planned for release on 9 August.
3. Airport delays expected to continue
Enhanced security at EU airports has been causing severe delays at border control points during one of the busiest holiday seasons of the year.
Major airlines, including British Airways, Ryanair and EasyJet, advised customers on Friday to plan their journey so as to arrive at least three hours ahead of their planned flight departure. Particularly affected are terminals in Majorca, Malaga, Lisbon, Lyon, Brussels, Milan and Paris Orly.
The new rules for passenger screening have been implemented in response to recent terror attacks in Paris and Brussels. All EU member states in the Schengen area are required to introduce the measures by 7 October 2017.
4. US senators to propose Internet of Things cybersecurity legislation
A new bill marking the first attempt to regulate security standards for Internet of Things (IoT) technology will be put forward by US senators on Tuesday 8 August.
The legislation targets the security risk posed by internet-connected everyday objects like cars, medical devices and household appliances. It contains measures to enforce cybersecurity guidelines and prohibit the sale of nonconforming technology to US government bodies.
5. Results due from Standard Life, Legal & General, Cineworld Group, Coca-Cola HBC
- Monday: Interims due from Telit Communications PLC and Ultra Electronics Holdings.
- Tuesday: Interims due from Clarke (T) PLC, InterContinental Hotels Group, IP Group, IWG Plc, Morgan Sindall, Mereo Biopharma Group, Mporium Group, Pets At Home Group, Paddy Power Betfair, Rotork, SIG PLC, Standard Life, TP Icap Plc and Worldpay Group.
- Wednesday: Interims due from G4S PLC, Hastings Group Holdings, Legal & General Group, Riverstone Energy Limited, Spirax-Sarco Engineering and Stock Spirits Group.
- Thursday: Interims due from Amec Foster Wheeler, Tritax Big Box Reit, Coca-Cola HBC, Cineworld Group, Derwent London, Evraz, Hill & Smith Holdings, PageGroup, Prudential and Vitec Group.
- Friday: Interims due from Old Mutual Group, Romgaz and Touchstone Exploration.