Five things CAs need to know this week: 5 September 2016
A look ahead to some of the things happening in business, accountancy and politics this week.
1. Bank of England Governor to testify before Parliament
Parliament reconvenes this week following the summer recess.
Mark Carney and fellow rate-setters at the Treasury Select Committee will appear before MPs on Wednesday to discuss the impact of their latest monetary policy.
The Bank of England cut interest rates to 0.25% in August to provide additional support to economic growth.
2. The ICAS 2016 One Young CA will be announced
The winners of the ICAS 35 CAs under 35 competition will be announced at the London CA Dinner on Wednesday evening.
Four category winners in Leadership, Entrepreneurship, Influence & Innovation and Sustainability and CSR will be named. The overall winner will be named One Young CA 2016 and represent ICAS at the One Young World Summit in Ottawa, Canada next month.
The CA Dinner is an annual event that will this year be held at Gibson Hall, London.
3. Apple to unveil the next iPhone at September product launch
The new generation of the iPhone and Apple Watch are expected to be unveiled at the company's San Francisco launch event on 7 September.
The smartphone is predicted to have two differently sized versions, similar to the current model. Rumours have largely focused on an updated camera and the possible removal of the headphone jack.
The new iPhone is predicted to go on sale within the next two to three weeks.
4. The board of Sports Direct to face shareholders this week
Mike Ashley and the board members of retail chain Sports Direct will answer to investors at the company's AGM on Wednesday.
The brand has recently faced a backlash over working conditions for store and warehouse staff. The company admitted to breaking the law by not paying minimum wage earlier this year and are due to pay £1m to workers in compensation.
HMRC is understood to be still investigating the retailer.
5. Results from 1pm, Forbidden Technologies, Aviation Plc, Barratt Developments
- Monday: Interims due from MD Medical Group Investments, Flowgroup, Hunting, Randall & Quilter Investment Holdings, Union Jack Oil and Vipera. Finals due from Dechra Pharmaceuticals and 1pm.
- Tuesday: Interims due from Applegreen, Curtis Banks Group, Forbidden Technologies, Gamma Communications, InterQuest Group, Learning Technologies Group, Stadium Group and TCS Group Holding. Finals due from Ashmor Group, Craneware, A&J Mucklow Group and Redrow.
- Wednesday: Interims due from Ashtead Group, Centralnic Group, Gail (India), Hydrogen Group, Puretech Health and Zegona Communications. Finals due from Barratt Developments, Hargreaves Lansdown, Joules Group and McBride.
- Thursday: Finals due from Aviation Plc, Frontier Developments, Monitise Plc and Mattioli Woods.