Five things CAs need to know this week: 5 June 2017
A look ahead to some of the things happening in business, accountancy and politics this week.
1. The 2017 UK General Election takes place
Voters will cast their ballots on Thursday 8 June in what many have called a 'snap' General Election.
With the issues of Brexit, international relations and the economic outlook of the UK on the table, polls have been undecided on a clear front-runner in the campaign so far.
2. OECD to publish Global Economic Outlook report
The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) will release their analysis of the Global Economic Outlook on Wednesday 7 June.
The interim report, released in March, predicted a small rise in global GDP growth to around 3.5% in 2018, despite low rates of investment, trade and productivity.
However, markets were thought to be regaining confidence and may have an impact on the final report.
3. ICAS calls for CA input on VAT consultation
The Office of Tax Simplification (OTS) is reviewing the complexity of VAT and will publish recommendations in autumn.
Subjects of potential reform include multiple rates, partial exemption, formal rulings, the option to tax process, the registration threshold and the flat rate scheme.
ICAS are asking CAs to review the interim report and contribute to our response before publication on 30 June.
4. Celebration of World Environment Day
World Environment Day, a United Nations initiative to raise awareness for environmental causes, falls on Monday 5 June.
Organisations and individuals are encouraged to host their own events and share details of environmental issues that matter to them.
Businesses may choose to celebrate by improving their sustainability policies.
5. Results due from FlyBe, AO World, Auto Trader, Ramsdens Holdings
- Tuesday: Interims due from Gooch & Housego and Oxford Metrics. Finals due from Acal, AO World, B.P. Marsh & Partners, Carclo, FreeAgent Holdings, GB Group and WYG Plc.
- Wednesday: Finals due from Biotech Gwth, Grafenia, Picton Property Income Ltd, Ramsdens Holdings, RPC Group, Tricorn Group and Workspace Group.
- Thursday: Finals due from Auto Trader Group, CMC Markets, FlyBe, First Property Group and Volex Group.