Five things CAs need to know this week: 4 December 2017
A look ahead to some of the things happening in business, accountancy and politics this week.
1. ICAS President Sir Brian Souter CA calls for national debate on pensions
Sir Brian Souter CA, ICAS President and Chairman of Stagecoach Group, has asked the pensions industry to consider their future outlook and investment in the next generation.
In a CA Magazine article published today, he said: "You might expect our pension schemes to be investing heavily in businesses and growth for the future, but they’re not.
“There is growing acceptance that these fabulously large and important pots of defined benefit investment assets are, for some reason, not being efficiently invested in ways that encourage enterprise and employment.
“We have record levels of investment into pension schemes, and we have amongst the best funded pension arrangements in Europe, so why do we have an apparently ever-growing pensions black hole?”
2. ICAS and IDW host Brexit event in Frankfurt
ICAS Vice President Mike McKeon CA will join representatives of the Institut der Wirtschaftsprüfer in Deutschland (IDW) in Frankfurt on Monday 4 December to discuss the impact of Brexit on business across the EU.
Mike chairs the ICAS Brexit Advisory Group and will deliver a presentation on the UK and ICAS perspective of the negotiation process to date. He will also cover the key messages from the recent 'CETA, Brexit and Beyond' ICAS publication.
Jörg Peter Müller, Technical Manager for International Tax and Tax Policy at IDW, and international tax specialist Birgit Jürgensmann complete the panel.
3. Theresa May to meet with European Commission President
4. RSM Canada has launched in Toronto
Accountancy firm RSM has expanded into Canada for the first time as the group formerly known as Collins Barrow Toronto joins their international network.
Harry Blum will serve as Managing Partner of the newly formed RSM Canada, comprising of RSM Canada LLP and RSM Canada Consulting LP.
RSM International CEO Jean Stephens said: "We are excited to welcome RSM Canada to our network. This firm, together with our expansion plans, strengthens our ability to support our substantial existing North American client base, and enables us to realize exciting new opportunities in this important economy for clients across the globe.”
5. Results due from Stagecoach, Mulberry, WYG, Tatton Asset Management
- Monday: Interim due from RhythmOne PLC. Finals due from The Character Group and MXC Capita.
- Tuesday: Interims due from Collagen Solutions, Consort Medical, Iomart Group, Tatton Asset Management, Vianet and WYG Plc. Finals due from Victrex.
- Wednesday: Interims due from Mercia Technologies, Plastics Capital, Stagecoach Group, Sysgroup and Tricorn Group. Finals due from Easyhotel, Image Scan Holdings, Numis Corporation, Oxford Metrics, Redhall Group, RWS Holdings and Schroder European Real Estate Investment Trust.
- Thursday: Interims due from Clipper Logistics, Mulberry Group and DS Smith. Finals due from CareTech Holdings.