Five things CAs need to know this week: 25 March 2019
A look ahead to some of the things happening in business, accountancy and politics this week.
1. UK to miss original Brexit deadline of 29 March
Friday 29 March marks what was the expected departure date for the UK's exit from the EU.
As no withdrawal deal has been agreed by Parliament, this has been postponed and the Prime Minister is due to table secondary legislation that will remove 29 March from UK law. There will be a vote to extend the deadline to 12 April.
European Council President Donald Tusk said: "12 April is a key date in terms of the UK deciding whether to hold European Parliament elections.
"If it has not decided to do so by then, the option of long extension will automatically become impossible."
Elsewhere, an online petition to revoke Article 50 has reached over three million signatures.
2. Thinktank due to launch report on the Department of Work & Pensions (DWP)
Cross-party social thinktank Demos will release a report on the future of the DWP on Tuesday 26 March.
The research is a follow-up from a paper published in January, which debated the positioning and suitability of the DWP to make reasonable provisions for disadvantaged groups.
According to Demos: "The [new report] details the bold institutional, organisational and cultural changes required to reform welfare provision and fight poverty in the UK."
3. French, German and Chinese leaders to meet ahead of EU-China summit
French President Emmanuel Macron is due to host China's President Xi Jinping for talks with EU leaders on 26 March.
The group are expected to discuss relations between Europe and China around trade, the environment and other key issues. German Chancellor Angela Merkel and EU Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker have reportedly been invited to the meeting.
An official EU-China summit is scheduled for 9 April 2019.
4. British Chamber of Commerce (BCC) hosting annual conference
The 2019 Annual Conference of the BCC will be held in London on Thursday 28 March.
This year, the event will focus on the key themes of Innovation, People and Infrastructure. Speakers include Will Gardiner, CEO of Drax Group, Dr Nigel Wilson, Group CEO of Legal & General, and Alison Rose, Deputy CEO of NatWest Holdings.
5. Results due from A G Barr, Eddie Stobart Logistics, Cathay International Holdings Ltd, Alliance Pharma
- Monday: Finals due from ADES International Holding Ltd, BigBlu Broadband PLC, Brady PLC, Hansteen Holdings PLC, IFG Group PLC, Microgen PLC, MD Medical Group Investments Plc, Quixant, SpaceandPeople PLC and Spectra Systems Corporation.
- Tuesday: Finals due from Access Intelligence PLC, Alliance Pharma PLC, A G Barr PLC, Boku Inc., T Clarke PLC, Fevertree Drinks Plc, Gulf Marine Services PLC, LiDCO Group PLC, Moss Bros Group PLC, Personal Group Holdings PLC, Pelatro Plc, Premier Technical Services Group Plc, S & U PLC and XLMedia Plc.
- Wednesday: Interim due from Bellway PLC. Finals due from Anglo Pacific Group PLC, Brave Bison Group Plc, Cloudcall Group Plc, Churchill China PLC, CPP Group PLC, Hilton Food Group PLC and RHI Magnesita NV.
- Thursday: Interims due from Ceres Power Holdings PLC, Diurnal Group Plc, Tritax Eurobox Plc and International Public Partnership Ltd. Finals due from Arix Bioscience Plc, BBGI Sicav S.A., Biome Technologies PLC, Eddie Stobart Logistics Plc, Gulf Keystone Petroleum, India Capital Growth Fund Ltd and Intelligent Ultrasound Group PLC.
- Friday: Finals due from Chesnara PLC, Cathay International Holdings Ltd and GAN Plc.