Five things CAs need to know this week: 24 September 2018
A look ahead to some of the things happening in business, accountancy and politics this week.
1. Discover ICAS Insights on the Business of Technology
Chaired by Carolyn Spencer, ICAS Director of Digital Transformation, speakers include Andrew Marshall CA, Group Financial Controller at Atom Bank, Richard Logan CA, Group Finance Director at Iomart, and David McIntyre CA, CFO of Cyberhawk.
2. Take part in a new survey on sustainability in accountancy education
ICAS has helped to produce a survey intended to measure the extent to which sustainability is included in education of the accounting profession. The survey takes 5-10 minutes and your assistance will be most helpful. The data collected will contribute towards a report consisting of observations and recommendations for the profession.
We are seeking responses from people who have studied accounting and/or finance in the last 2 years either:
- At a university, college or business school; or
- In training for a professional accountancy qualification; or
- At a postgraduate level; or
- Through CPD/CPE.
3. 73rd session of the UN General Assembly enters 'high-level week' in New York
Formally known as the 'general debate', the high-level segment of the annual UN General Assembly gets underway on Tuesday 25th September.
This year's speeches are expected to revolve around global leadership and responsibility, including a focus on sustainability and the role of the UN as a whole. As is traditional, Brazil will be the first of the member nations to speak.
The 73rd session of the UN General Assembly opened on 18 September at the organisation's New York City headquarters and will continue to 2 October. The elected President for 2018 is María Fernanda Espinosa, the first Latin American woman ever to hold the office.
4. Office for National Statistics to publish key GDP data
The Office for National Statistics (ONS) will release figures for the UK's GDP quarterly national accounts for Q2 2018. This report will include the final revision of GDP for the April to June period.
5. Updates from Next, Card Factory, 888 Holdings, Mi-Pay Group
- Monday: Interims due from Deltex Medical Group, Instem Plc, MaxCyte Inc, River And Mercantile Group, Trinity Exploration & Production and XLMedia.
- Tuesday: Interims due from Altitude Group, Card Factory, Keystone Law Group, Mi-Pay Group, Next PLC and Osirium Technologies Plc. Finals due from Scancell Holdings.
- Wednesday: Interims due from Obrascon Huarte Lain Sa, AA Plc, Amryt Pharma, Centralnic Group, Corero Network Security, Destiny Pharma, Futura Medical, Minds + Machines Group Ltd and Pelatro. Finals due from Accrol Group Hldgs, Allergy Therapeutics and James Halstead PLC.
- Thursday: Interims due from 888 Holdings, Biopharma Credit, Circassia Pharmaceuticals, Maistro Plc and Midatech Pharma. Finals due from Bluefield Solar Income Fund Ltd and Clinigen Group.
- Friday: Interim due from TLA Worldwide.