Five things CAs need to know this week: 20 May 2019
A look ahead to some of the things happening in business, accountancy and politics this week.
1. The Portrait Gallery by Night
ICAS is hosting an exclusive reception in one of Edinburgh’s most remarkable buildings this week.
2. Figures on the Eurozone economy and CBI report to be released
All eyes in the Eurozone will be looking to purchasing managers this week for signs of economic recovery.
A flash survey from them last month indicated that the rate of decline in the manufacturing sector was levelling off and the services sector was experiencing a jolt of growth.
Figures released from the Bank of Belgium on business confidence is due to be released and should also provide an indication of how the economy is performing.
In the UK, the CBI is likely to report that output from manufacturers has fallen slightly due to uncertainty over Brexit.
Figures on retail sale are expected to be more positive however, with the good weather over the Easter break drawing shoppers out into the high street.
3. European elections to take place
The vote will take place from 23-26 May with polls open in the UK on 23 May.
The last European elections in 2014 were the largest transnational ever held at the same time.
Antonio Tajani, European Parliament President, said: "We have to change Europe and make it more effective by
answering citizens’ concerns and building upon what we have already achieved."
4. Investors will push BP into climate change action
BP will face calls from investors to beef up action on tackling climate change at a meeting this week.
In 2018 the company's carbon emissions rose to its highest ever levels.
Lobbyists, activists and investors are now pushing BP to take action to ensure they are in line with the requirements of the 2015 Paris climate agreement.
BP has already backed a resolution which will be brought forward by investors on Tuesday, which will see carbon emission performance linked to executive pay.
5. Results due from Thomas Cook, Sage, TUI and Brewin Dolphin.
- Monday: Interims due from Cerillion. Finals due from LXI Reit and McKay Securities.
- Tuesday: Interims due from APC Technology, Nexus Infrastructure, Renew Holdings, Shaftesbury and Topps Tiles. Finals due from Assura, Bloomsbury Publishing, Big Yellow, Halfords, Homeserve and Severn Trent.
- Wednesday: Interim due from Britvic, Paragon Banking, Picton Property Income and Paradigm Metals. Finals due from Babcock International, Marks & Spencer, Pets At Home, Royal Mail and SSE.
- Thursday: Interims due from AJ Bell, Hollywood Bowl and Mitchells & Butlers. Finals due from NewRiver Retail, PayPoint, TalkTalk, Tate & Lyle and United Utilities.
- Friday: Finals due from Urban Logistics and Volvere.