Five things CAs need to know this week: 17 June 2019
A look ahead to some of the things happening in business, accountancy and politics this week.
1. Take part in an EU wide study
ICAS invites its members to participate in a survey of the perceived relevance of non-financial indicators and business model disclosures.
The study is jointly conducted by researchers of the Universities of Aarhus (Denmark), Florence (Italy) and Aalborg (Denmark).
The purpose of the survey is to investigate preparers’ and users’ perceptions of non-financial information included in the annual report with a focus on two concepts that are gaining increasing importance, namely non-financial indicators (KPIs) and business models.
If you are a preparer/user of financial statements, we would highly appreciate your viewpoints in this survey.
2. Tory leadership debate to take place
The BBC will host a televised debate this week between the Tory candidates vying to become the UK's next Prime Minister.
At the time of writing this article, the candidates are; Boris Johnson, Jeremy Hunt, Michael Gove, Dominic Raab, Sajid Javid and Rory Stewart.
The debate will only feature five candidates as the MP with the lowest number of votes in the second ballot will drop out of the contest.
Boris Johnson won the first ballot last week, securing the votes of 114 Tory MPs. Jeremy Hunt came second with 43 votes and Micheal Gove third with 37.
3. ICAS Highland golf day
Join your fellow Highland CAs and their guests for an afternoon of golf at our annual outing this year at the classic Scottish Course - Boat of Garten.
4. European Council to meet
Leaders from across the Eurozone will meet in Brussels this week.
Brexit and how Europe should take stock leading up to the UK's exit is likely to be high on the European Council meeting agenda.
Economic and Monetary Union (EMU) reform will also be a big ticket item on the agenda, along with the EU budget and the strategic agenda.
5. Results due from Dixons Carphone, Safestore Holdings and Scottish Investment Trust.
- Monday: Interims due from Scottish Investment Trust.
- Tuesday: Interims due from Ashtead Group, Safestore Holdings, Schroder European Real Estate Investment Trust.
- Wednesday: Finals due from Berkeley Group Holdings, Severfield and ULS Technology
- Thursday: Interims due from CareTech Holdings. Finals due from Best Of The Best and Dixons Carphone.