Five things CAs need to know this week: 10 September 2018
A look ahead to some of the things happening in business, accountancy and politics this week.
1. Join ICAS in London for the Big Pensions Debate on 11 September
Speakers at this evening event include Sir Brian Souter CA, financial journalists Sarah Pennels and Josephine Cumbo, Chris Curry of the Pensions Policy Institute, Hargreaves Lansdown's Tom McPhail, and Gregg McClymont of B&CE, provider of The People’s Pension.
2. Recommendations on new parliamentary boundaries due to be published
Following last week's submissions by the UK's four boundary commissions, final recommendations for redrawing parliamentary boundaries are due to be made public on Monday 10 September.
The plans are expected to reduce the number of MPs in the House of Commons from 650 to 600. Initial proposals outlined six fewer in Scotland, one fewer in Northern Ireland, 11 fewer in Wales, and 32 fewer in England.
While the new boundaries are intended to balance the number of voters in each constituency more evenly, there have been concerns on the basis that the UK's first-past-the-post electoral system relies on area wins, rather than voter numbers.
3. UK and Eurozone to release interest rate decisions
The European Central Bank (ECB) will announce its' latest interest rate decision on Thursday 13 September. Mario Draghi, ECB President, is expected to implement an interest rate rise before the end of his term next year, though it is not clear when.
4. Several key statistics due from ONS
5. Updates from BlackRock, The Gym Group, Hays, Old Mutual Group
- Monday: Interims due from Brady PLC, Gulf Keystone Petroleum and MD Medical Group Investments Plc.
- Tuesday: Interims due from Acacia Mining, Ashtead Group, Cairn Energy, DP Eurasia, Eu Supply Plc, Harworth Group, JD Sports Fashion, PureTech Health, Silence Therapeutics, Surgical Innovations Group, Team17 Group, TP Group and Vectura Group. Finals due from Alumasc Group and Murgitroyd Group.
- Wednesday: Interims due from Advanced Medical Solutions Group, Anexo Group, Concurrent Technologies, Forbidden Technologies, Medica Group and Ten Entertainment Group. Finals due from Dunelm Group, Galliford Try, 1pm PLC and Stenprop Limited.
- Thursday: Interims due from Faron Pharmaceuticals, Gresham House, GVC Holdings, Wm Morrison Supermarkets, Ophir Energy, Oxford BioMedica, SafeCharge International Group and Xeros Technology Group. Finals due from Ricardo.
- Friday: Interims due from PV Crystalox Solar and Triple Point Social Housing Reit Plc. Finals due from JD Wetherspoon.