10 things we learnt this week: 6 May 2016
A round-up of the recent top content you may have missed from CA Today.
1. BDO named a new Managing Partner
Paul Eagland was announced to be the new Managing Partner taking office at BDO in October 2016. He replaces Simon Michaels, who will end an eight-year tenure in the position later this year.
2. The speakers for the 2016 ICAS Conference have been announced
Jo Malone, Daniel Susskind and Nick Leeson are among those confirmed to be attending The ICAS Conference this year. The annual event will be held in Edinburgh on 29 September.
3. HMRC’s online services for agents are being rebranded
The HMRC Talking Point series is launching a series of webinars. Topics include explaining new Agent Services, formally known as Agent Online Self-Serve (AOSS) and disguised remuneration rules for SMEs.
4. Bonuses for City workers are falling, and it could create a skills gap
The City may soon experience a drastic skills gap in the financial services sector due to rising dissatisfaction with bonuses among the next generation of professionals, according to recent research. Around 83% of young finance professionals are dissatisfied with their bonus.
5. A new bill for financial services came into effect
The Bank of England and Financial Services Act 2016 was passed by Parliament on Wednesday. It includes measures to strengthen the Bank's position at the heart of the UK economy.
6. We learned the top trends in financial services
The changes to banking services caused by the rise of FinTech has implemented several new trends in financial services, including mobile only banks, robo-advisors and peer to peer lending.
7. Canada's appeal for CAs was investigated
Business leaders in Canada came together with ICAS to discuss the country's economy and whether recent events have had a negative impact on attracting CAs to its shores.
8. The 2014/15 ICAS Gold Medal winner shared her story
Katie Close CA was awarded the ICAS Gold Medal for 2014/2015 for achieving the highest marks in her TPE exams last year. She spoke about her path to become a CA and how she wants to use accountancy to help others.
9. The secrets of networking were revealed
Networking is a great way to meet people in your field and we have made a step-by-step guide for making the connections that will help you take the next step in your career.
10. We rounded up the best email hacks
We put together a list of essential email tips and tricks. Manage your inbox by eliminating 'bacn' and learn how to undo pressing send.