Financial Controls Accountant | Glasgow
Recruiter: Arnold Clark
Location: Hillington, Glasgow
Salary: £Competitive + Company Car + Bi Annual Bonus
Holiday Entitlement: 33 days
Healthcare: Private Medical Care and Life Assurance
Additional Benefits: Paid professional membership fees
Interested in this role?
About the company
The Arnold Clark Group has grown significantly over the last 10 years adding various departments to its Head Office function. Over this period there have been changes in financial practice to move more towards Internal Controls functions and as a result a new department has been created. The Financial Controls Accountant will for a key part of a new Key Controls Department. The individual will be required to assess current controls/gaps and amend these / develop new controls in conjunction with key stakeholders. This position will sit within the Group Finance Department but will work closely with Internal Audit who will test the controls. The individual will be required to document Group policies and procedures and continuously review these.
About the opportunity
The Financial Controls Accountant will be part of new Key Controls Department and the postholder will be responsible for working with stakeholders within various Departments to assess and develop internal controls. This Department will report to the Group Finance Department and will work closely with Internal Audit Department who will test controls.
The purpose of the role ensures is to ensure that risks associated to core financial processes are identified, recorded and controls are designed to mitigate these risks. The Financial Controls Accountant will communicate with core finance teams to make sure that controls are an integrated part of their day-to-day activities, and they understand their roles in keeping a solid control environment within Group Finance. The Financial Controls Accountant will report to the Senior Controls Accountant working closely with Internal Audit.
- Act as the “go-to” person for finance teams for all control related matters and provide professional support during internal audits
- Design, assess, implement and monitor a robust Financial Reporting Controls Framework, governance and methodology
- Identify, assess, document and monitor business processes (including financial systems) that affect the Group’s financial reporting, including the use of process narratives & flowcharts
- Lead, document and report on risk assessment of the business processes in respect of materiality and tolerances misstatements in financial reporting, including establishment of risk ratings for use in Group reporting
- Develop Group policies for controls and control objectives for core financial reporting processes
- Work with process owners to scope, design, and implement controls to address key risks and ensuring design adequacy and operating effectiveness of financial controls
- Ensure that the right balance of controls is in place, identify efficiency opportunities and suggest ways to eliminate duplication
- Prepare regular reporting to management and follow up actions.
- Ensure that the right balance of controls is in place, identify efficiency opportunities/ suggest ways to eliminate duplication
- Provide control training to core process teams as needed
- Be the source of excellence for IFRS & FRS guidance, ensuring accounting policies are robust, communicated and applied
- Prepare accounting papers to support internal practices
What to do next
To find out more or see a full Position Profile, please contact their retained advisor, Jonathan Donnelly at Rutherford Cross.
Please note that any direct or third-party approaches will be sent to Rutherford Cross for review and assessment.