Financial Controller | Glasgow
Recruiter: Rutherford Cross
Employer: Primal Strength
Salary: £60,000 - £65,000 plus bonus
Contract type: Permanent, full time
Closing date: No set closing date
Interested in this role?
About the organisation
Primal is on a mission to equip every body to discover their true potential, and we’re looking for a Financial Controller to join us on our journey to becoming the number one strength brand in Europe.
Primal’s customers include leading professional sports teams, like Celtic and Rangers Football Club, and an array of celebrity clientele. The company has delivered impressive growth since launch. Its dual track focus on serving both the commercial and home fitness markets mean it has been able to respond to developments in strength training in the traditional gym setting, as well as the surge in demand for home gym fit outs and home workout equipment.
In June 2021, Primal partnered with London based private equity firm Flywheel Partners to help accelerate its growth plans. Primal has created a distinctive brand and strong market position driven by customer service, quality and innovation.
About the role
As Primal embarks on the next phase of its growth journey, the Executive Team and Board has identified the need to appoint a Financial Controller to support the business as it scales.
The primary responsibility of this role is to closely support the CFO by producing detailed and timely financial reporting and MI. There will be a focus on process improvements and ensuring that appropriate controls and reconciliations are in place. In keeping with the expanding profile of the group - the ability to question, challenge and flex with change are also vital. At present certain finance tasks are outsourced and over time the business plans to bring these back in-house and the Financial Controller will be key to enabling this. As a result of joining the company at such an exciting stage in its journey, the expectation is that the role may evolve with time as the company does.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Oversee the completion of the management accounting and month-end close process
- Development and delivery of insightful MI and KPI reporting to support strategic decision-making, including monthly board report
- Take ownership of business planning, budgeting, and forecasting process
- Working capital optimisation, in particular working with merchandising team on stock ordering
- Management of year-end audits
- Review of corporate tax and VAT returns
- Keep up to date with technical accounting developments, providing support and advice to the finance team
- Ensure financial controls are in place, identify efficiency opportunities and suggest ways to eliminate duplication
- Play a leading role in implementation of new finance system, including working closely with the warehouse team to implement inventory controls
- Management of outsourced transaction processing team and development of in-house Finance Assistant
About the individual
- Qualified accountant (CA, ACCA, CIMA)
- Ability to develop robust processes and controls
- Comfortable supporting or partnering with director level stakeholders
- Ability to manage and develop a small finance team in time
- Advanced Excel skills working with large and complex spreadsheet models
- Relevant experience, in a medium sized business
- Experience of implementing a new system
- An understanding of inventory management
- Confident communicator at every level, with strong inter-personal and influencing skills
- Committed individual, displaying drive, ambition, and professionalism
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
To find out more on remuneration, the role or to see a full Position Profile, please contact their retained advisor, Jonathan Donnelly at Rutherford Cross.