Finance Manager | Edinburgh
St John Scotland
Role title: Finance Manager
Responsible to: Chief Executive Officer
Hours: Part time (22.5 hours per week)
Place of work: St John Scotland head office, Edinburgh
Salary: £40,000 pro rata
Interested in this role?
About St John Scotland
St John Scotland is a Scottish charity working to create a caring Scotland where more of us will survive a health crisis to live longer, and better.
Our charitable services are delivered by teams of dedicated volunteers across the country, and include community-based CPR training, supporting the provision of Public Access Defibrillators, Patient Transport Services, and Community First Responders.
We also support overseas programmes, with current activity including Scottish Government and St John Scotland-supported projects in Malawi, and annual financial contributions to the St John Eye Hospital in Jerusalem.
As well as being a charity, we are the Scottish chapter of the Order of St John – an order of chivalry of the British Crown whose members have been invited to join in recognition of their service to our charitable aims.
We are now seeking a Finance Manager to join our head office team, based from our office in central Edinburgh.
The role of the Finance Manager is to provide the CEO with the finance, IT and risk management functions of the charity, in support of the Board, HQ staff, Areas volunteer teams in their delivery of all aspects of St John Scotland’s output, both charitable and chivalric, and contribute to the overall strategy and objectives of St John Scotland. More specifically, the role includes:
- Maintenance of the day-to-day financial transactions of St John Scotland, including purchases, receipts and payments.
- Preparation of management accounts and end of year statutory accounts. Preparation and monitoring of the annual budget, including internal quarterly reports.
- Oversight of IT and database management.
- Assisting the CEO with Risk Management.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Preparation of full statutory Charity financial accounts for presentation to the auditors.
- Preparation of Management Accounts and ability to report to the Board and Finance & General Purposes Committee.
- Recording of daily transactions and payment of salaries, invoices and accounts when due.
- Raising, recording and controlling of invoices raised for charitable services (eg patient transport).
- Submission of statutory submissions eg OSCR, HMRC and Companies House.
- Submission of annual Gift Aid claims.
- Oversight of the charity’s IT and database management.
- Routine oversight of Risk Management, including updating of the risk management matrix.
- Implementation of Area accounting and reporting.
- Minute taking at Board and Finance Committee meetings.
- Deputise for the CEO as required.
- Carry out other duties in support of St John Scotland services, projects and activities as delegated by the CEO.
Qualifications / Education
- Educated to degree level
- Professional Finance Qualification (preferably as CA)
- Proven experience of financial control of an organisation, including preparation of management accounts, annual accounts, payroll, invoicing and other routine financial management.
- Expertise with current accounting software, in particular Sage and Xero.
- Experience of managing IT systems.
- Experience of risk management.
- Experience of HR.
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with the Board, staff team and members/volunteers on a decentralised basis.
- The ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrable organisational and planning skills, including IT structures and risk.
- Judgement and decision-making ability.
- Excellent IT skills, including extensive experience of using the full Microsoft Office suite.
- Able to demonstrate leadership, to empower others and work collaboratively
- Highly motivated, resilient and able to use initiative
- Excellent communication skills
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Clean UK driving license and a willingness to travel on charitable business and work flexibly to enable effective engagement with our volunteer teams across Scotland.
To apply, please submit a copy of your current CV to email@example.com along with a covering letter/email demonstrating how you meet the criteria for the position.
Please ensure that you confirm your current salary and notice period (if applicable) in the covering email.
The closing date for applications is Friday 25 March 2022, although this may be extended depending on the response. We would advise anyone interested in this position to apply as early as possible. We intend holding interviews in the week commencing 4 April 2022.