Associate | Glasgow/London
Recruiter: Livingston James, market leading executive search
Location: Glasgow and/or London
Contract type: Permanent
Interested in this role?
About the opportunity
Livingston James is delighted to be partnering with Scottish Equity Partners (SEP) to bolster their investment team, with particular attention at Associate level in Glasgow and/or London.
SEP is one of Europe’s leading technology growth equity firms. They have a successful track record spanning over 20 years and have been ranked as one of the most consistent, top performing venture capital fund managers globally. They specialise in enterprise and consumer-focused software and internet companies and have backed some of Europe’s most exciting businesses including Skyscanner, Mister Spex, Babbel, Dotmatics and Matchesfashion.
Due to continued growth, SEP is looking to bolster its high performing team at Associate level. There is flexibility over a Glasgow or London base for this role. The successful candidate will work across all areas of the investment lifecycle, with an emphasis on the financial and commercial analysis of both current and potential investments. The candidate will need to demonstrate an ability to pro-actively identify the key commercial considerations to facilitate investment decisions.
About the role
Self-motivated, proactive and energetic, the candidate will be actively involved in deal origination, market analysis and portfolio management as well as investment appraisal. The candidate will possess the highest standards of business ethics and be able to work both independently and collaboratively within a flexible, dynamic and team-orientated working culture.
- Review and screening of investment opportunities, including meeting management teams, business owners and entrepreneurs
- Conduct company and industry research and analysis, producing high quality internal reports that can be used to develop ideas and drive investment decisions
- Establish investment theses and value creation strategies for investment opportunities
- Perform complex analytical and valuation analysis, including detailed financial modelling:
- Model investment valuations and sensitivities against informed and substantiated inputs and assumptions
- Run exit scenario analysis of live investments
- Build new financial models as required for new investments
- Plan and assist with transaction execution, including due diligence, deal structuring and legal documentation
- Support with the preparation of investment papers and other supporting documents
- Assist in the management of portfolio investments, working with company Boards and management teams through the investment lifecycle to ensure delivery of the agreed strategy, growth and operational and other improvement programmes, and ultimately realise value
- Complete portfolio valuation, reporting and other tasks to meet internal and external deadlines
- Build a network of contacts to help build SEP’s profile and increase deal flow
- Attend networking and other events
About the individual
- Strong academic record and relevant professional qualification (e.g., Chartered Accountant, CFA, MBA etc.). Likely to be sitting in a credible professional service, investment platform or consulting firm, with experience ranging from 2-5 years PQE
- Currently working for late-stage VC firm, pure growth equity or lower market PE firm on deals comparable to SEP’s own investments or 2-5 years transactional experience (corporate finance or investment banking). Financially literate with first-class modelling skills
- Experience of originating and working on technology investments and an understanding of commercial metrics and revenue models for enterprise software, consumer internet and software-enabled services businesses would be desirable
- Experience of financial modelling and financial due diligence
- Analytical with the ability to understand investment decisions and processes
- Entrepreneurial in spirit and naturally inquisitive, someone who actively questions the “why” and can rationalise their thoughts and innovations through debate * Team player who can quickly establish strong relationships with colleagues and the wider investment and entrepreneurial community
- Personable and pragmatic with impact, good written and oral communication skills, high levels of professionalism, motivation, resilience and a strong work ethic
- Self-motivated, self-directed and with a positive attitude, willing to take ownership of tasks, comfortable working independently or as part of a team
- Genuine interest in the technology sector
For further information please contact Sophie Randles, Director, Private Equity at Livingston James.